"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Prep for class tomorrow for Prayer Flags for the Gulf of Mexico

My classes are making silk prayer flags.
We will be sending visual prayers for the gulf of Mexico.
This is silk fabric which is dyed with Kool-aid.
You add about 3 pkg of unsweetened Kool-aid to 6-8
cups of water in a corning dish which is placed upon the stove on medium high heat. You can see where I stirred the kool-aid in the pot before I added pre-washed but still wet silk.
I added a little white vinegar to the mix and stirred.
Add the silk( make sure that you cover all of the fabric, so don't put too many pieces of flags in at a time) simmer with lid on dish until all color is soaked up by fabric (this means when the water is clear).This usually takes about an hour. 
Then, just leave the lid on and let cool for a few hours before you remove fabric. Squeeze out the water, hang to dry. When dry, iron the pieces to remove any wrinkles.
The kids are going to draw onto the fabric with permanent Sharpie markers, things that they know are in the gulf, like fish and birds.
To finish, we are using white glue along the one long side of the flag to roll a dowel over once. Let dry and then we will have many colorful flags. These can remind the children to take care of our earth when they take them home.
Tomorrow, when they are finished I plan to take a photograph of all
of the flags.Each flag is about 10 inches wide and about 24.5 inches long.
I keep trying to get the margins
right, but it is a no go.
The point is to see how to dye with kool-aid, right?

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am on my way. Wish. Will be there tomorrow--in spirit.

Magnolia Handspun said...

Those kids are so lucky to have you Bobbie.
I would have "dyed" to have you as an art teacher...this looks SO fun. I hope you post the results. I dye yarn with kool-aid.
Maybe next time I'll try some material, maybe even some batik?... hmmm.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612