"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, August 24, 2012

Lemon Ice Cream with Shawl and Shibori on top










The shawl I made with Camilla's  Twist and Twine Yarn 
I am wearing as I snap a photo of myself into the mirror over my
kitchen stove. You ask why I have a mirror in my kitchen?
My grandmother told me, when I was about to be married, to always hang a 
mirror in my kitchen to remind me that this is what my husband sees when he
looks at me, and if I want a long marriage. . . be happy with what I see.

I love this shawl. It makes me like a little of what I see.

For a real treat visit Camilla's blog to see her new restaurant
and all of the beauty of Montana at

just because she is really a nice person.






From my garden the above dahlia shines in my kitchen. 


My cup runneth over! The new cup I bought in Asheville.


Remember? This is the photo I showed you before.
Here is another shot of the shawl in progress.


I swatched the yarn so many ways to see what I would do with it.

The color is lovely and it is different with unusual stitches. Here it pools
into larger areas of  color. I like this a lot and will do something with this, soon.
I love the sense of color Camilla chooses to express. I have enjoyed her
Magnolia Handspun for the past couple of years. She is discontinuing this
yarn. I am practically out of stock of this, myself. Sad. It was so much fun to use. 




I made Lemon Ice Cream from the China Moon Cookbook.
It takes 1 1/8 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice,
the zest from all of the lemons (I used a special zester tool)
2 cups sugar and 4 cups of half and half plus
a pinch or two of kosher salt.
You grind the sugar with the zest in a food processor or blender for a few minutes,
then add the juice and blend well. Stir in the cream in a large bowl.
That is all!
It is the most delicious Ice Cream Ever!
I served this in green carnival glass with a Pepperidge Farm
Milano chocolate cookie.
Yum 
Barbara Tropp really knows her stuff.
I love this cookbook 
which was out it 1992.
I visited her bistro China Moon when I lived in SF
The recipes are amazing.
On Indigo Shibori Day:
We had chicken with cranberries and pecan salad 
on lettuce in croissants sandwiches
Caesars Salad
a huge tray of fresh summer Melon
Lemon Ice Cream and Milano Cookies
drinks
and way too much fun
outside under the umbrellas on the deck.








Just before you ad this into the ice cream maker you let it sit and
stir for a little while to mingle the ingredients.



Freezing. . .


Frozen and ready to eat. I like it right away after freezing rather
than containing it and putting it in the regular refrigerator freezer. It gets
too hard and the texture is not as nice.


Shibori Indigo dyeing was the activity of the day.
We had a great time and can you believe this???
I forgot to take pics because I was having so much fun.









3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I had been there. Perhaps my invitation got lost in the mail? Ha!

Bobbie Casey said...

Now Sara,
If I had thought for one second that you might come I would send an invite and you would be the guest of honor. You of course know that!
Sure miss your art spirit!
Wish we could hang out together!
Love,

Bobbie

karen said...

I have a mirror in my kitchen too...it's where I blow dry my hair. I never gave my husband a thought when I put it there....you have a very lovely blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612