"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Slow Luncheon by the Riverside

Thursday I attended a luncheon with some friends in the town where I live on the edge; the edge of a different century and way of life. I find that I tip my toe into the flowing river which runs next to it and down below my kings X every now and then to feel the temperature of it all. Sometimes, the water is warm and sometimes it is not. Sometimes the river is rushing along filled with lost debris from somewhere else up the mountains or very shallow and almost dry.
I find it all surreal in the sense that it is magnified and larger than life or hyper-real from my point of view because it does not happen very often. I consider whether or not it is a good thing or is it a bad thing.
The beauty of it comes when you walk into a Victorian house into the dining room where the table scape takes your breath away. Where every detail is beyond. The flowers catch your attention, first of all, because they are so perfectly placed and the adornment so appropriate for the occasion. Then you notice the place settings are beautiful, in themselves, with Burgundy Red chargers beneath the magnificent pineapple bird with a half of a banana as its' tail feather lifted toward the crystal chandelier and the ceiling of the room. This bird is on each and every plate in the room filled with summer fruit and a dish of chicken salad which we promptly eat with pleasant conversation as we pass the lovely crackers that we spread with a bit of  the salad. We drink "sweet tea" which is such a southern tradition. All of this is followed with a treat of cheese cake full of chocolate and pralines, a chocolate covered strawberry, and two tiny truffles, along with freshly brewed coffee.
Presents from the hostess, come from California and Hawaii where she recently traveled, they include a lei and Sees' candy, and a tiny silk bag filled with chocolate from the Hershey's Museum, these were given to each of the group.
The contrast of this day with every other day, is significant, but it is much enjoyed. My life is so filled with current, electricity and otherwise, as I hold it to the slowness of a Victorian day shared. This river is flowing just right, this day, not too warm, not too full of debris, just a little lazy and slow.
I forgot to take my camera so you will have to see the picture through my words, this time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612