"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sunday, December 26, 2010

LAURIE ANDERSON - KOKOKU ~ AND WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING


You must know that Laurie Anderson is a huge influence upon my thoughts about art. When I was young I wanted to grow up to be her clone. I got sidetracked living my own life and doing my own art. I know now that whatever I see and like I should do the opposite. . that is a very good starting point for ideas, to remind oneself the value in being just who YOU are, having said that, it IS very interesting to me how once in a while I think of her work and take a new look with my own new eyes. I am working on the Sketchbook Project gearing up to the finish line which is the middle of January. With this is mind I found myself seeking images and materials to be included with what I have already accomplished in this respect. I did a small painting a while back spontaneously with gouache on paper. As I worked on this piece it told me where to go. It is strange how our minds work. Think of everything you might have seen in your life and that it is stored somewhere inside the brain. The access is there whenever one might need it. The images and ideas spring forth in new combinations. This is what happens to me when I just go with the flow. This is what happened while I worked on the small painting. I suddenly had a female figure wearing snow attire climbing to Mt. Fuji and she turned toward me and there in front of her face was a mask which I have no idea what this means. However, I am sure that it is triggered from images inside my minds eye. Today, it is snowing again! I know you are tired of me talking about snow, but I keep thinking that I  know something that I do not know I know. Do you ever feel that way, too? Well, I am wondering if there is truly climate change???
So, what does this have to do with Laurie Anderson? Well, I was listening to an old bit of hers and I wondered if it might be on You -Tube, and it is. To tie this up with a pretty bow, There are images of Mt. Fuji, SNOW, thoughts of future events, and what is going on in the world today. She was thinking about these sort of things way back when and her music and video's were far beyond anything anyone else was doing back in 1984. The extraordinary thing to me is that I am working with some of those images in my Sketchbook Project and thinking about 1984 and the theme of Secret Codes. Which is what I picked, secret codes. There are things that are out there for us to know if we just look around.
Anyway, Take a look at the video posted here. Think about what she said long before 911 I wonder if she was referring to 1984 when she did this piece? I wish I knew. I am thinking about the state of our world and how fragile it is. How a few people in power could so easily destroy this and what does it all mean?
I think of North Korea and Iran, that is what I am thinking about, and of course SNOW. I do not want an ice age. I am having too much fun living life on this planet. It is in my Danish blood to love this weather, I know, but. . .

1 comment:

Magnolia Handspun said...

Very powerful and beautiful Bobbie. It's been years since I have seen or heard anything from her...
So neat to read this about you and your thoughts, I think many of us feel the same way.
I too am having so much fun on this planet- yey for winter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612