"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, December 17, 2010

Pattern for Magnolia Shawl

Working on another Magnolia Handspun Yarn triangular shawl
only this time I used size 15 bamboo circular needles and I have more yarn to
make it bigger. also it is more dense.
It is really fun to make because it starts off with casting on three stitches
in the Magnolia Yarn.
Then you  begin with the kid silk haze and just knit all three of the mag yarn stitches that you cast on,
you just knit every row.
A garter stitch is what you get,
turn the work and in this row which is the haze you knit first stitch and then make 2 stitches in the following stitch
knit to within last two stitches
then
make two stitches in that stitch and knit the last stitch and turn
knit all of these stitches still using haze.
Now,  slide all of the stitches to the other needle,
pick up the magnolia yarn, drop the haze, and knit all of these stitches
Now, pick-up the haze again, and knit all of the stitches and turn
knit first stitch and make two in the next stitch
knit to the last two stitches and make two,  knit last stitch and follow as above
You will end up with a triangle shawl or scarf depending upon how much yarn you have to work with.
Save enough yarn at the end of the ball to bind off stitches very loosely.
What makes this squiggly lacy look is that you use a very thick yarn AND a very thin yarn.
I learned this technique in my Debbie New Book called  "Unexpected Knitting" which I have had for years.
I sort of made up this pattern so that I could use the Magnolia Yarn to show it off.
You have to use circular needles so that you can slide the stitches to the other end, this way you carry the yarn
up the side, but just make sure that you make these edge stitches loosely so that the shawl will not pucker on the edge.
Hope this helps just in case you want to make one.
Also, it doesn't take that long to make,
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

I love that still life of the wool. I used to knit, once upon a time. Now not so much. I knit vicariously through you.

Bobbie Casey said...

Thank you so much Roberta! It is nice to hear from you today. I was just passing by my computer while preparing some sweet sour sauce for an appetizer and I noticed that someone had read the post.
I love to knit when I want to keep my mind busy.
The forest behind my house is so wintery looking and so very still and quiet, mostly it is peaceful. I do not like being snowed in right now but it is really ok. I am busy making gifts for dear friends. I just need to be able to get to the post office. I am taking an online photography class so I photograph quite a bit right now. I am not very good at it but I keep trying. Have a nice weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612