"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, November 12, 2010


BE SWEET BE SWEET


Small Bags

I have recieved some requests to share how I made the magnolia bag, an answer to that, follows.

I purchased a bag from a South African company called Mielie. I first saw these on the Selvedge web site.
Mine is black with BE SWEET written in red letters. Inside it is lined in red with white dots of cotton fabric.
It has nice black leather handles and a large zip closure. There are pockets inside. The bags are made using green products such as cotton discards from a nearby mill.  Carpet bags and all of the other materials and products are made locally, as well.

The bags makers are south African women who earn from this venture to help lift them from poverty, which is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I live where I live to try to make a difference. I teach little children art and creativity skills which is all I can do, for now.

So, I began to research how to do this.
How to make a bag?

I am always trying to come up with little products that could be made by local people to add to their income.
I have my own reasons and criteria for what I do. I am motivated to appreciate beauty in every aspect of life. I like beautiful colorful pasta, four seasons, and daily challenges.

Coming soon is a tutorial on how to make these little bags.



Hand dyed shibori with goldenrod and indigo


Bag in process

shibori dyed indigo for lining

Following will be how to do it with batik scraps and beautiufl yarn
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Magnolia Handspun said...

Loving your beautiful bags- I so appreciate how you dye your fabric.
Can't wait for the tutorial Bobbie - I really want to learn how you make the outside.
Thank you for sharing your inspiring work...keep it coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612