"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

THE BEAR


The Bear

The first bear I saw was in Mesa Verde National Park. A magical experience, almost, when I happened to glance in my rear view mirror, there it was running toward the car, faster than I was driving at the time.
Stunned, I was absolutely speechless, dumfounded, all of these words work very well. I wanted my mom and my cousin to see this bear. What did I do? I stopped the car and put it into reverse and was on a collision course with this bear. I was unable to say, “Turn around and look.” But, the stopping and reversing of course brought this to their attention! Just then the bear changed course and bounded off the edge of this mountain back to the natural territory it was used to being alive.
Later in the day, I sat and waited for my mom to catch-up to where I have hiked looking at the cliff dwelling. Sitting next to me was a character of sorts. He wore a cowboy hat and around his neck was a strand of silver, turquoise, and bear claws. I noticed this and ask him to tell me about his neck piece. This is when I discovered the bear claws. I related my earlier experience of the day to him. He insisted that I take one of the claws, which I did not do. He said this encounter was a message for me. It was up to me to figure out what it all means. I am still thinking about this so many years later. 
A couple of weeks ago I saw another baby bear on my gravel road near my house. I know that where there is a babe that mom is not far away. I have not seen the bears, again, yet. Others that live on this mountain have. They saw the baby under an apple tree laying on its back eating apples.

A couple of years ago a bear came here and marked a tree and then walked along the back side of my house across the land to the chicken house where it stood on it’s hind legs and put his paw on the corner of the house. It was empty at the time this chicken house. So the bear kept going. I was speechless that day, too.

I think I am beginning to understand the meaning of the bear, now. It is like the feather is to some, it has meaning to me. I think I will continue to see what comes of this.  See, the only time I am speechless these days is when I am in the presence of a bear.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612