"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Contemplating Mode

Timesick is the name of this piece
porcelain/mixed medium

I ask myself just what is behind the ubiquitous manifestation
I perceive from looking at works on the Internet?
I know we all have a knowing. . ..
A knowing of something below the level of consciousness shared
between creative individuals by the work we do. . .
Why is it that we need to be doing things by hand?
Why is it we are revisiting techniques practiced by our mothers and grandmothers
and all of those whose work we see in books or museums?
I hear others say it is a reaction to technology. . .
but is it really?
What I am thinking about right now is how to make this relevant to our own time, for myself.
Recycled materials is a big deal, once again.
If that is so, why is it that in every town there is a place to buy
the system that someone else has put together so that we can do any craft or art without searching for
pigments or yarn or scrabooking or photography materials or ribbon or thread or or or
and magazines, too. Have you ever seen anything like it?
There are specialized magazines for anything you can think you might want to try.
The system is to make us want to buy. Yes, it is.
So again, why do you think we want to dye with natural materials and spin our own yarn?
Commerce is changing. Yes, it is.
The internet has changed this forever.
What motivates you?
What are we trying to say?
Please share your thoughts.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Let's see. You pose some interesting conundrums. When I first became a painter, there was no internet. I have to say, it was nice because I knew I was always being original or if I wasn't there was no way of knowing that someone else was doing the very same thing. Now if I start something, thinking it is unique, I find that exact thing on the internet and of course lose any interest in continuing it. A good thing and a bad thing. Of course I don't want to be accused of copying, and so I move onto yet another idea.
As far as the magazines go, there are way too many, I agree. I let all mine lapse. I was getting bogged down with too many to store and I wasn't making the projects in them. So what was the point?
I know that I make things because I have to. If I don't, well, let's just say it isn't good for my mental health.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612