"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, February 18, 2011

To Quote Salman Rushdie

"There was one more serious problem... they failed to notice the immobility of my eyelids... they observed my icy blueness, but there was not the slightest tremor; until Amina took matters into her own hands and reached into the cradle to stroke my eyelids downwards. They closed: my breathing altered, instantly, to the contented rhythms of sleep. After that, for several months, mother and ayah took it in turns to open and close my lids. "He'll learn, Madam," Mary comforted Amina, "He is a good obedient child and he will get the hang of it for sure." I learned: the first lesson of my life: nobody can face the world with his eyes open all the time."
  • Source: The Fisherman's Pointing Finger
You know sometimes I think life can be a bit tough for all of us. Sometimes, it seems that circumstances are more than we can bear. I find that there are many things in life that can be worse than THIS problem of the day.
I quickly discover that a lot of friends have something going on that is much much worse.
I teach a little boy who has a father in stage four leukemia, that is a lot for a little boy to deal with. He could lose his father any day, now. I have a friend who is watching her mother die with cancer. My son-in-law is in Afghanistan. I am worried for his safety and more worried about my daughter as to how she can deal with the fear and trying to care for her children all by herself. My heart goes out to everyone.

I have been reading books (Midnights Children ~ Salman Rushdie) and working very hard on complete mind involvement with whatever I am working on at the moment.

Yesterday, I finally found the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes. I had bread making paraphernalia all over my kitchen while I set a pot of Black Beans Cuban Style on the stove to cook. Black Beans and Rice with a Boule' of bread in the making at the same time as I was dying fabric with Kool Aid so I can show how to do this with photographs. Multitasking is what my daughter always says she is very good at doing, for me it is taxing  my brain to concentrate. This is usually how I end up making a huge mistake. But, it IS a great way to close my eyes to the world.
It is a very good thing that Kool Aid is non-toxic and is considered a food. At least I am not poisoning anyone
when it becomes time for dinner.

Yoga Breathing
I need to breath, you need to breath.
Nadi

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612