"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, February 11, 2011

Two Sides To One Coin ~ Flipped ~Wanna Learn To Fly?

How is it possible to be two completely different individuals inside of one well worn body? I ask this of myself, quite often!
I think it begins with envy. . .I know, it is a sin, however, it started when I was a tiny little girl when my next door neighbor's little girls were surprised for Christmas with their very own play house. It was wonderful. It was real. It was not mine. It was big enough for several of our little group, to play inside, at a time. I still dream of this and wake in wonder at how something can be so full of magic that it enters your mind, many, many years, later.
I fly above the entire block on which I lived in my dreams and see everything from above. I try really hard in my dreams to teach  my friends how to fly with me, to no avail. This is the source of my girly girly personality. I love china cups and tea and scones. I love pretty and comfortable surroundings. I love red. I love color. I love nature and flowers, especially. I love to clean my house.I love tidy and neat and organization. I love to draw. My best friend could draw like you would not believe and I wanted to draw as well as she did. We were so young, then. Her name was Laurie Fiddes, I do not know what ever happened to her. I wish I did know her, still. The point of this is to tell you about this one side of me.

Now, the other part of me, minimal would be the word. Sophisticated? I think it is more likely, educated, to the wonders of the world that are made by human beings such as music, architecture, painting, sculpture, literature, mathematics, engineering, ships that sail the world, above the world and in the water, and all of the beautiful things we make to comfort ourselves, at this point I must say that I believe that craft requires the same art spirit. For me I think that craft and art are the same thing if it is approached from the same fountain of inspiration and skill.

 I would like to see one thing at a time, with absolutely no clutter. I love museums, especially the simplicity of space. My favorite museum is The Kimball Museum in Fort Worth, Texas, designed by the American architect Louis I. Kahn. I spent many days inside of this amazing light filled space when I lived in Dallas.

This same person inside of me spends all of their time either working in the arts or thinking about working in the arts. I do not know that anything exists except that, at those times, not my home, not food, not my environment, not a thing. My house becomes a mess and I might even forget to get dressed. This is when I am truly a pair of eyeballs floating in space.

There is a shop in Berkeley, California, Castle In The Air, Take a look at this wonderful space. They have one of my favorite web pages. . .Ever! The design is unique and user friendly. It is a place to find inspiration for that artist living inside of each of us, whichever spirit, minimal or complex.
The writer of their blog, Karima Cammell wrote:


"My second resolution is to fully embrace my life as an artist. Spending time with Mariaelisa Leboroni this summer reinforced for me how powerful it can be to fully own being an artist. It is one thing to say one is going to be an artist, another to work at one’s art regularly, and yet another to take it on as a life. Art has been in my blood my entire life—I can’t help it, I must create. To not do so costs me my sanity. But when someone asks me what I do, I say I’m a shopkeeper, a mother, a wife, someone who studied science in school…all these wonderful roles I’ve set up for myself. Now when people ask who I am or what I do, I’ll tell them I’m an artist. Wish me luck! And know that if this is your New Year’s resolution too, you’ve got an ally in me."

This is where I was headed when I began writing off the top of my head about this topic. Now, don't you just hate it when people say things like this. Why is it necessary to say: "This is where I was headed when. . ."
Why can't I say it in the first place??? I just laugh at myself, all of the time. Oh come on with me, let's do this together. Let's just suspend our JUDGEMENT and have a little fun. Lets go to the Castle In The Air, so  come fly with me!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612