"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Georgia O'Keefe Magnolia Handspun Bag ~ Beginning of How It Is Made


From Cover of  Book:
"Georgia O'Keeffe  Art and Letters"

Living in this very small town with a very very old and historic post office that closes early on a Saturday, well, early if you can not get there before noonish, patience, you need! Especially, if you are waiting for something to fulfill a vision; this very vision that keeps you awake at night, better than any dream you might have on your very best cinematic gorgeous nights.

Meanwhile, as you wait, you work and work on another vision that marks the spot where X might live, at this time, not last time, until you break your sewing machine and have to stop. No worry, you know the other vision is almost ready to begin. You will not even need that machine, now.

This is where your heart lives lately, those coral, orangish, lavender grayish, sage greenish, turquoise bluish greenish, red, bone dry whitish, colors of the high plains of New Mexico, where cliff dwellers lived before the mysterious wanderings which we still do not know why, where Georgia found her kings X, that place of which there is no other.

I T  is soft and comforting and already wound into a ball, not a skein, as before, . .I T will become the newest version of the MAG BAG. The G E O R G I A MAG BAG. (Eat Your Heart Out Anthropologie) When I saw this at the Magnolia Handspun site I bought it immediately because I knew it would be gone in five minutes, if I didn't hurry. That has happened before, you know? At least I knew it is mine, even though we were in the midst of that terrible snow storm, I didn't care because even if I was snowed in I knew this ball of yarn was mine. Even if it sat in the post office for a couple of extra days, I KNEW it was mine! This ART YARN is so perfectly wonderful, I just can't help myself! Yes, Camilla Bloom is a friend of mine, now. But even if she were not I would really really want this yarn simply because if I were to spin yarn this would be what I would want because it fits with my own visions of the creations I want to make.
The thing that is really fun for me is to let the inspiration tell me what to do. I never really know where it is going to lead. I get out the white silk fabric and my dyes and twist and turn and sew and pleat until I make the decisions of color and design. I might dye a piece of silk two, three, or more times, until I get exactly what I want. I choose the batik fabrics to anchor the yarn to the grid canvas. I choose a piece of ribbon from my stash of antique textiles. I choose the beads. I choose the silk thread. I choose the handles. I enjoy the process; slowly, deliberately, completing each element of my design. This is pure joy. You could join me, you know.

1 comment:

Magnolia Handspun said...

Sounds like fun-living vicariously thru you.
Can't wait to see the Georgia mag bag!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612