"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Friday, June 10, 2011

Speaking My Mind





Speaking my mind or is it my mind speaking?

Opening that door to what I really know or think about is an exercise that I can do sitting down. The keyboard is the door. I realize this everyday and forget this everyday. When I sit down to write a post for this blog it is usually off the top of my head and I do not edit. I guess I "should" edit, but that is a very fatal end to what I think on an unconscious level. I really do want to know. It reminds me of an exercise I learned in college about brainstorming by writing a word and then as fast as you could think branch off of that word with another. It is like a tree trunk with branches coming off in more words. My writing down is better for the way I work.It surprises me that I so willingly share with the readers of this blog what I am thinking about. It is one of those things. Transparency? You know how I believe we are all connected, so this is part of that, I guess. I like Gertrude Stein as a writer because she gave permission to do this when she wrote.

OK, so here it is, what I am doing, now. For the last few weeks I have been working on linen with embroidery, by machine.. .then hand embroidery on top of that. It is all experimental, experi-mental, wow, now that would be a good blog title. . .see what i mean? Above are two photo's of things I am working on.
I am still amazed about the first image. I guess somebody else is, as well, because I have had an incredible amount of hits on two posts relating to that image and the Mt. Fuji post I did a while back.
I do not like punctuation either. It slows me down in my thinking. I regress. Anyways, I love letters.
Letters or alphabets in any languages from all time interest me. I think it is the mark making thing that we humans do. Like in painting and drawing and even writing. It leaves a trace of who we are, behind.
I have done a few alphabets of made up letters throughout the years, I love to draw letters. In graphic design classes I took a very long time ago is when I discovered why. They are beautiful.

My most favorite story is the one in the Bible about Babylon when language first got scrambled. That is another post for another time, I think. But, you get the idea?
Again and again I come back to letters. And that is all I want to say about that right now.

I transferred the image onto organdy of the volcano lights and am working on that. I stuck it on my back screen door to take a look and snapped that photograph. The other is embroidery of one of my language images which came from a drawing I did last year.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love the translation in the top photo from your 3D paper sculptures into 2D embroidery (or have I got that totally wrong?) But, I'm particularly intrigued my the second photo, it reminds me of codes, but also of street art - which I suppose could be considered the same thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Le Petit Prince Is Who Eye am Beside on B612